Thursday, July 30, 2015

Post 21: Is Social Media Changing Language?

Social Media is changing the way we communicate with others.

I cringe sometimes when I see the texts loaded with acronyms or hear people use the acronyms or phrases while speaking. I do not know why but I still like to spell out words and avoid acronyms.

Here are some words that were created from social media use or have been given new meaning through social media:

  • selfie
  • unfriend
  • troll
  • rickrolling
  • status
  • meme
  • hashtag
  • viral
  • tag
  • trending
  • tweet
  • wiki
  • avatar
Can you add to the list?

If students are relying on new vocabulary and social media to communicate with others, where are they going to practice good language mechanics? In other words, if a student is consistently using social media language can we still hold them accountable in the classroom? If they are not practicing grammar, spelling, and punctuation, will those skills start to slowly disappear?

In my opinion, social media is contributing to poor spelling, grammar, and punctuation (skills that are still very necessary in this society).

I wonder how English teachers are solving this issue in the classroom? Can anyone share their own experiences?






8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this topic. I'm really enjoying your blog. Also thank you for the encouraging words and feedback this summer. Your post made me consider having a session in which we just discuss important lingo and terms before using social media in my fall classes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your post. I am glad that we can use these blogs to encourage each other. I think it is important for students to feel a sense of community in their courses. It would be a great idea to discuss important social media terms in your classes. I always think it is important for teachers to set expectations with social media use and function.

      Delete
  2. This is a true story, I have a friend who uses "lol" in real life instances. She does a little snicker, and then she say's "lol". Is that not the most bizarre thing you've ever heard? I guess this is more relevant to texting than it is the internet, but it just goes to show how much technology (in general) is shaping our present and future. Very interesting post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon I feel your pain. My brother will say 'lols' all the time. He says it as if it an actual word. I cannot tell you how unnerving it can be to hear him say "That was so many lols". Eck!

      Delete
  3. This is a great topic, I had not considered that but after reading your list, I am also hearing these slang social media words more often in person. I do believe social media can hinder real life conversations and vocabulary as you mentioned. Although, it can also enhance ones knowledge and learning experience so it does have it's benefits as well. I am interested in hearing how english teachers address this as you asked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a difficult uphill battle for English teachers. I hear these terms being used even in news stories to make them more relevant to users. I wonder if some teachers allow the use of slang in certain instances. And if so, what instances would qualify?

      Delete
  4. I would add different types of emoticons to your list. They are so embedded into the Internet writing that have become part of the netiquette nowadays. By the way, “netiquette” is another Internet-era word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Varby! You read my mind. I wanted to include emoticons but I wasn't sure about the copyright on those icons. You are right about emoticons. My cousin will only speak in emoticons sometimes. Very interesting way to communicate I would have to say. Thank you for your word contribution!

      Delete