Thursday, August 6, 2015

Post 26: Social Media Sabbatical


Can I interest you in a Social Media Sabbatical?

We all know that social media can be addicting. Some of us are on these platforms for hours upon hours for different reasons. I think that it can sometimes be fun and scrolling through my feed is a little relaxing.

But what happens when social media becomes a daunting task? When it starts feeling like a job? When you start dreading it?

Take a Break! Unplug!



Unplugged by las is licensed under (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

I know that I will be taking a quick break after the semester finishes for rebooting and refocusing my attention. I would like to start using social media in my professional development and I think I might take a little time just mapping it out.

Will you be taking a social media sabbatical?

Here are some reasons why taking a break from social media might be a good option:

1.       Social media provides a distorted sense of reality.

2.       Social media can sometimes be a distraction.

3.       Social media does allow for interaction with your friends, but not always in a substantial way.

4.       Social media might cause you to seek validation from others. Too focused on how many “likes” or “retweets”.

I think social media can be a great tool in many of our endeavors, I would just like to find a balance on how many hours I spend on these platforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment