Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Post 24: Now What Do I Do With All This Junk?


As you can tell from my blog, I prefer to use a pseudonym for the many adventures in this class. With every social media tool introduced in our class, I have used the pseudonym. I created a separate gmail account for this pseudonym and tie every registration to this account. I only use this gmail account in this class and do not give it out otherwise.

From time to time, I check this gmail account for updates from social media sources.

Come to find I have a total of 207 emails! (That includes Primary, Social, and Promotion)



These are emails that I have received from the online communities I joined, Scoop.it, Delicious, Edmodo, Voicethread, Pinterest, Twitter, Quora, Diigo, Wikispaces, and all the other tools that I ventured to try in addition to the ones recommended.

Some of us are desensitized when we look at our inboxes and see hundreds of new emails. Most of the time, these emails are notifications, updates, or promotions. It takes me about an hour to ‘clear’ the junk and for a few precious minutes, my inbox is empty.

To the people that used their regular email accounts, have you also encountered a bombardment of social media emails?

Not to worry, most of the time these platforms, let you unsubscribe. Now the task is to figure out how…

3 comments:

  1. You also can mark those messages as spam, and gmail will put them into a spam box. So, every new message from those websites will be considered as spam and will be automatically transferred there. At least it supposed to work like that, in the real life, however, some of the messages still could be displayed in the inbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have experienced the same behaviors from the SM tools I've joined (at least 10) and of course, used my personal email account. After creating about 5 accounts, the first action was browse through the Options and turn off anything that would flood my Inbox with notification. But what I also stumbled across a setting where I can receive notification for specific individuals. Forgive me for not remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a lot of mail! I have been receiving that all in my personal email and very much wished I used a pseudonym. Too late now, I have unsubscribed from some and I do clean up daily since they seem to never end. It was nice for my knowledge sharing and tracking assignment as well as the produsage project to see if and when people were replying, commenting, or sharing my work so I did appreciate the emails in that sense but definitely don't need to be receiving this many emails daily. I have to do some more unsubscribing!

    ReplyDelete